What is the Cost of Pest Control Services?
Understanding Pest Control Pricing in Australia
Although a necessary service, pest control can be costly in Australia.
So you may find yourself asking questions such as ‘How much does it cost for pest control?’ or ‘What is the average price of pest control services?’
At EPM Pest Control Brisbane we are passionate about delivering quality and affordable pest control solutions that protect both your family and your pocket.
In this article, we’ll explore what factors affect the prices of different types of pest control services and how to spot the best deals on offer to help you make an informed decision when choosing a reliable pest removal service.
So let’s take a deeper look at how much it really costs for effective pest management.
Dealing with Common Pest Infestations
Cockroaches skittering across your countertops. Spiders leaving dusty webs in every corner. Silverfish creeping out of drains. Mice chewing on wires. Pesky insects and rodents aren’t just gross. They can cause real problems in your home.
These common type of pests spread bacteria and contaminate food. They damage furniture, clothing, and structures in your home. Some bites or stings can cause allergic reactions. Pests disrupt your quality of life and comfort in your own home.
Getting rid of a pest infestation is extremely difficult to do on your own. DIY pest control treatments are often ineffective. Pests continue multiplying and you end up wasting time and money on solutions that don’t work.
Many pests hide in hard to reach areas like cracks, crevices, walls, and attics. They reproduce quickly and you need to eliminate all of them in order to get rid of the problem. Doing a thorough pest treatment and pest inspection yourself is frustrating, exhausting, and ultimately impossible.
Hiring a Professional Pest Control Service
The best solution is to hire a professional pest control company. Pest control experts have the expertise and tools to:
- Correctly identify the types of pests
- Find all nests, burrows, and access points
- Apply treatments to fully eliminate the infestation
- Prevent future pest problems from recurring
Professional pest control service maximises results while minimising hassles. Reputable companies use the latest technology, treatments, and techniques. Their knowledge helps them solve the problem efficiently.
Some of the benefits of professional pest control include:
- Effective solutions – Professionals have access to powerful pesticides and treatments that aren’t available to consumers. This gives better results.
- Full eradication – They eliminate all life stages of pests from eggs to adults so they can’t continue breeding.
- Prevention of recurrence – Technicians identify and seal points of entry so pests can’t get back in.
- Time savings – Pest control pros handle the entire process so you don’t have to deal with it.
- Peace of mind – Companies provide follow-up services and guarantees if pests return.
- Health and safety – They use products safely and dispose of dead pests, reducing contamination in your home.
While DIY pest control sounds cheaper up front, hiring a professional pest controller is a worthwhile investment. Now let’s look at what factors influence the cost of pest control services.
What Affects the Cost of Pest Control?
Pest control costs range widely depending on the type of pests, size of your home, and the extent of the infestation. Pest control price also vary between companies. Here are the main factors that determine pest control costs:
Type of Pests
- Rodents (rats & mice) – More difficult to exterminate so more expensive. Trapping is required along with sealing entry points. Cost: $200-$800 for initial service.
- Cockroaches & ants – Require thorough treatment of nesting areas and entry points. Cost: $150-$350 for initial service.
- Bed bugs – Labor-intensive elimination process. Often need follow-up heat treatments. Cost: $300-$1,000+ for initial service.
- Termites – Require tenting or drilling into materials to reach nests. Termite control, termite inspections, and termite treatment cost: $1,000-$5,000+ depending on colony size.
- Fleas & ticks – Applied topically to pets and property. Cost: $100-$300 for initial service.
- Spiders, silverfish, centipedes – Spot treatments of affected areas. Cost: $75-$250 for initial service.
As you can see, cockroaches, ants, and other common household pests are cheapest to treat, while extensive rodent, termite, and bed bug infestations cost more.
Size of House
Larger homes require more time, more pesticide, and more work to treat completely. Small apartments or flats are quicker and cheaper, while multi-level homes, estates, and commercial properties cost more.
Exact size differences:
- Studio apartment: $100-$250
- 1-2 bedroom unit: $150-$350
- 3-4 bedroom house: $200-$500
- 5+ bedroom house: $300-$800
- Offices, restaurants, warehouses: Get quote
Extent of Infestation
If the infestation is widespread and out of control, more work is required to eliminate it. Companies base quotes on the level of infestation:
- Minor/limited infestation – Few pests spotted. Cost: $100-$300
- Moderate infestation – Pests seen frequently. Cost: $150-$400
- Major/severe infestation – Large number of pests. Cost: $250-$1,000+
Signs like large nests, widespread droppings, foul odors, and constant pest sightings indicate a major infestation.
Extra services like these increase costs:
- Follow-up treatments – $75+ per additional visit
- Fumigation for termites – $1,000-$2,500
- Heat treatments for bed bugs – $200-$500 per room
- Flea & tick yard spraying – $0.05+ per sq ft outdoors
- Rodent-proofing and sealing – $150+ per hour
- Termite baiting system – $750+ for materials and monitoring
- Multi-year maintenance contracts – 15%+ surcharge per year
The more services you need, the higher your total pest control costs will be. Make sure to get an itemised estimate so you understand what is included.
Average Pest Control Costs in Australia
Now that you know the key pricing factors, here are the typical costs for standard pest control services:
- Cockroach control – $200 to $400 for a 2-3 bedroom home
- Spider removal – $150 to $250 for a 2-3 bedroom home
- Rodent control (rats/mice) – $300 to $600 for a 2-3 bedroom home
- Ant extermination – $250 to $450 for a 2-3 bedroom home
- Flea treatment – $250 to $400 for treatment of pets and premises
- Bed bug elimination – $400 to $900+ for a 2-3 bedroom home
- Termite treatment – $2,000+ for a 2-3 bedroom home
These prices are reasonable national averages but may be higher or lower depending on your specific needs. Termite jobs are the most variable.
Established companies with high demand can charge more premium prices while smaller operations offer more budget-friendly rates. Get quotes from 3-4 pest control experts to find the best value for your situation.
How to Lower Your Pest Control Costs
Here are some tips to reduce the amount you pay for professional pest control:
- Prevent pests – Seal cracks, store food properly, and practice good sanitation to avoid major infestations that cost more.
- DIY initial steps – You can try inexpensive DIY options first like traps, baits or home remedies and call pros if those don’t fix the issue.
- Choose lower-cost pests – Go with a company that specialises in lower-priced ants, spiders, cockroaches, etc if possible.
- Start with a small treatment – For a minor problem, you can have pros do a single room or limited treatment first before doing the whole home.
- Select a small company – Smaller local operations often have lower service rates than big brand name chains.
- Go off-season – Avoid peak summer and holidays when demand is high. You can save 10-20% during other seasons.
- Take advantage of sales – Companies sometimes run promotions and coupons, so look out for deals in your area.
With the right pest control provider and smart timing, you can get quality service without overspending.
Pest Control Cost FAQs
Does pest control have hidden fees?
Reputable companies will give you a clear written estimate covering all costs. Be wary of vague quotes or companies that won’t provide price information up front.
Do you have to tip pest control technicians?
Tipping is optional. Technicians make hourly wages or salaries, so tips are not expected but appreciated for good service. 10-20% is a standard tip amount.
Can pest control damage your home or health?
Licensed professionals only use EPA-approved pesticides following label directions. When applied correctly, treatments are safe for you and your property. Let the technician know if you have any concerns.
Is a monthly pest control service plan worth it?
For severe infestations, yes. Monthly service ensures populations stay controlled before they multiply. Get a quote on the plan cost so you know the annual expense.
What’s the best way to lower costs on large jobs?
Termite treatments, bed bug elimination, and widespread rodent infestations cost more. Compare prices from 3-5 highly rated companies to find good value.
Will home insurance cover pest control costs?Policies may cover treatments for some pests like termites and rodents if they are causing structural damage. Check with your insurance provider.
How can I find reputable yet affordable pest control companies?
Look for licensed and insured companies with expertise treating your type of pest. Check reviews and compare rates from 3-5 options. Avoid choosing on price alone.
In conclusion, pest control improves your quality of life by getting rid of cockroaches in the kitchen, mosquitoes on the roof, birds in the attic, and more.
Make sure to get a warranty on termite treatments and inspect your home regularly to catch issues early.
With the right pest control service, you can enjoy your home free of common pests.